Monday, January 09, 2012

The Road to Heaven - poem


At a crossroads with so many paths to choose,
I’m run under where I stand

But wasn’t it Sam who said, it’s not the road to Heaven
that’s paved with good intent?
and yet

I intend to love this Gift
I’m all too blessed to accept
and all too inspired to resist

Still run under where I stand

There’s beauty in standing
even if only to stand for the breath intended
to pass through these lips

Running created the chaos necessary
to test my intention to stand with what
inspired me to search for Heaven
through the path I still need to choose

My legs have lost the will to run
where I stand

My lungs have tired but aspired to learning
how to get to Heaven while standing
with what I’ve been given

Through inhales and exhales and heartbeat percussions
playing out the symphony of Above and Below,
the fork vanishes, transforms
into a response, revealing why
I’ve been running

‘til now

Until I awoke from the dreams of confusion
to the sound reality that
Heaven is in the Gift,
and the Gift is the proof
that Breath exists
to keep us standing for
the choice I made
in you

2 comments:

McScott said...

The trees are so pretty that I get caught up admiring their bark and foliage. I end up enjoying the sounds of the limbs creaking overheard so much that I get lost in the forest and forget where I was headed in the first place. The best part is, I don't mind in the slightest, because the trees around me are all so inviting. :)

So ya. I'll have to re-read this a few times. Love it, Ashie.

Brig said...

My goodness best friend...with every new poem I feel like I have just found my new favourite, and this one was certainly no exception. I hope you know with every inch of your being that you have created heaven down here on Earth for me, and for everyone around you...you are an example of the Blessed gift that you speak of, so embrace all the gifts that you run into my dear...you take them, and you run with them...because you are an angel sent down here from above, and angels always deserve a taste of Heaven while they're here. Another amazing piece of writing sister. I adore you.